These candle votives are the perfect centrepiece to add atmosphere and warmth as the sun disappears and it cools. Even if you’re not dining Alfresco you can enjoy the ambience anywhere in the twinkling candle light. -Fran
- Gauge No 6 / 0.5mm Copper sheet (used in card making)
- Metal hole punch
- Metal snips (or you can use scissors with this metal sheet)
- Air dry clay
- Cookie cutters
- Multi-purpose adhesive
1. Roll out the air dry clay to around a quarter inch thickness. Don’t worry about smoothing out any cracks as long as the clay has an even thickness. Use the cookie cutters to cut out the plinths for the centre of the votives. Leave them to dry out overnight.
2. Measure the diameter of the votive plinth and cut a piece of copper to just over this length. Wrap the copper around the clay to test the length. It should slightly overlap. Cut between two and three inches high.
3. Pierce the metal with the hole punch creating repeating patterns around the top of the metal. Once you have made all of the holes lay on a hard surface and cover with a sheet of paper. Run the handle of you scissors over the holes to flatten any kinks or bends in the copper.
4. Spread adhesive around the edge of the clay circle and wrap the metal sheet around it. You can secure it in place with a clothes peg or masking tape until it dries. One it is secure glue the overlap together as well. Hold in place again until dry.
When using candles around metal always be aware of the heat. This thin sheet metal does become warm but not hot enough to burn, but it’s always better to take care and keep out of reach from smaller hands.